No seriously though. I’m referring to the majority of the cosplayers there that blocked the ballroom, screamed during the meetups, smeared gray everywhere, and didn’t clean up after their mess. You guys made the rest of us look horrible, even when respectfully asked to discontinue your game of spin the bottle, you guys could not stop. Fantastic! So here’s how the non-homestucks on the Sacanime page have seen it.
Now you could argue that “oh don’t pick on the Homestuck fandom, we’re nice :(((” No. You were the only ones that caused trouble during the con and the staff had given up on even trying to stop since you wouldn’t listen.
Prayers out there for the good Homestucks that were so badly represented though, I respect you guys, thanks for cleaning up the mess that the big part of the fandom left for us to pick up. Bless you all.
Here’s a prime example of the problem with the Homestuck fandom as it currently is. I speak here as someone who is entrenched so deeply in Homestuck I doubt I’ll ever be able to not call myself a fan, so trust me, I understand that there are people who don’t go around making fools of themselves in the fandom. The issue with the Homestuck fandom as a whole is that there is such a large part of the fanbase that is composed of kids who range from thirteen years old to sixteen. I have nothing against kids of that age group—hell, I was one three years ago—but a lot of them still have a very long way to go when it comes to maturity.
The thing is, most of the characters in Homestuck are assholes in one way or another. At the very least, most of them behave like assholes at one time or another. As a Homestuck, I can say that in the comic itself they are mostly very loveable assholes who tend to redeem themselves at least enough so you can shrug and not be all that bothered by their behaviors. But to someone who is younger and has yet to mature enough to understand that the following train of thought is utter dreck, i.e., people who are thirteen to sixteen years old, if you’re cosplaying someone who kind of acts like an asshole, it must be totally okay to run around acting like a total asshole because of course you’re just acting in character. And sure, wanting to be in character isn’t necessarily a bad thing. But it’s all about how far you take it.
To the younger Homestucks who somehow miraculously manage to see this post, because I won’t even begin to pretend I have all that many followers to distribute this to any kind of larger audience, it’s incredibly important that you not take the canon behaviors of characters you’re cosplaying as an excuse to act in a way that is rude, offensive, or otherwise asinine, especially at cons. Be considerate of your fellow con-goers, clean up after yourselves, and if you accidentally smear body paint on someone, apologize profusely. (Better yet, seal your body paint properly. Youtube is one hell of a site.)
Again. Repeat after me. Cosplaying as an asshole is NOT an excuse to act like one. If you can remember that, you’ll have a much more positive experience in your Homestuck cosplay anywhere you go, whether it’s at a con or not. And so will everyone else.
Christ, where do I even fucking start…
Okay, so anyone who’s seen my feed lately knows I’m like big into Homestuck now. I’ve tried reading it in the past but it didn’t keep my interest for long. I didn’t pick it up again till a friend of mine convinced me to give it another shot because I was missing out on one hell of a story, and he was right. I’m so thankful i went back and tried again because it’s honestly one of my favorite things now. The characters, the complex plot, the humor, the sadness, the video gamey, rpg-ey goodness, and just the wonder and awe of this seemingly endless creative universe - it all just captured my imagination unlike anything in a long time.
All that being said, I haven’t always been keen on Homestuck, especially the fandom (I know, I know, it’s not everyone, but we all know the ones we’re discussing here). I’ve actually only been a fan of Homestuck for about a year now (and I am careful to say I am only a fan in this present moment, because right about now, I’m wanting nothing to do with the fandom).
Before that, my fiance and I had experienced similar behavior from a large group of Homestuck cosplayers at a con about a year and two months prior. Loud, rowdy, obnoxious, disrespectful, and goddamn grey paint everyFUCKINGwhere (I think i even remember getting a spot or two on my cosplay after being bumped into). THIS is one major reason i was so hesitant about giving Homestuck a chance. I almost missed out on a wonderfully enthralling story because the majority of the fandom thinks they can act out and not face consequences.
THIS is why my fiance almost didn’t begin to read Homestuck of her own accord because no matter how much I urged her to give it a shot, much like I had previously been urged, she too despised what the fandom represented. Luckily I got her hooked for the right reasons, and we may very well cosplay Homestuck in the future.
But if we do, we won’t be acting like a bunch of inconsiderate brats who believe that a con is a get-out-of-acting-like-a-civilized-human-being card. There’s acting in character, and then there’s flat out being an asshole to those around you. Perhaps they just need to grow up more. Maybe I’ve just become too cynical of teenagers after I hit my twenties. Whatever the case, one thing is for certain.
ALL OF YOU.
AS A FAN OF HOMESTUCK, OR ANYTHING FROM ANY FANDOM.
ARE EACH AN AMBASSADOR TO EVERYONE AROUND YOU WHO IS NOT PART OF YOUR FANDOM, FOR SAID FANDOM.
DO NOT SULLY WHAT YOU/I/WE LOVE BY BEHAVING SO POORLY THAT IT MAKES EVERYONE AROUND YOU/ME/US TO NOT WANT ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE CONTENT, OR ASSOCIATE WITH IT IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM.
SHAPE UP, OR DON’T COME OUT AT ALL.
Sorry if I come off sounding like a jackass. I normally try to avoid ranting about things, especially here on tumblr, but it’s only cause I feel so strongly about this.
all 46 excuses on my friends wall,
1. i was just really, really early for tomorrow
2. we can’t all be usain bolt
3. in this day and age, we shouldn’t need labels like “late”
4. i had pe first period do you blame me
5. i really, really didn’t want to sing
6. my brother thought it would be hilarious to drop me outside the prison gates
7. you can’t tell me how to live my life
9. my legs fell off and i had to roll all the way to the emergency clinic
10. there was a freak yachting accident
11. i am a fucking retard
12. this is just for my wall
13. do you even read these
14. “it does not matter how slow you go, so long as you do not stop”
15. i spent my entire night writing tom daley fanfiction
16. my father left my mother for an air hostess seven years ago do you expect me to get over that emotional trauma overnight
17. sarah palin and i got into a twitter war and i couldn’t leave and let her win
18. traffic jammy jammy jam
19. how can i go to school when alex turner
20. my sim was having an emotional meltdown and i needed to be there for her
21. i was sticking it to the man
22. i spent my entire night worrying if i would ever lose my virginity
23. fifty shades of late; i was walking and then i caught the eye of an attractive member of the opposite sex and we began exchanging significant looks and i knew we would one day make sweet love so i just walked alongside him and tried to catch his eye and to be continued
24. part two he was playing hard to get so we walked and walked and he had the perfect hair colour it was sort of beige brown anyway it turned out he was walking to a bus stop so obviously i had to catch the bus because true love and silently we rode out to papakura and into the sunset
25. my meth lab caught fire
26. my bed is more comfortable than your school will ever be
27. i was sad
28. it was a nice day, so i walked leisurely
29. i had beat my younger brother for saying “swag”
30. i had to travel back to the 1950’s to ensure my birth
31. 2 kool 4 scool
32. i had to stop, collaborate and listen
33. i tried
34. i’m sorry i’m late
it’s not my fault
my auntie was killed
and i joined a cult
35. a haiku about lateness:
late late late late late
late late late late late late late
late late late late late
36. my best friend was telling me how to give a satisfactory blow job i wish i was joking
37. i was fashionably late
38. i was caught in a flash mob true story omfg
39. i did not choose the late life, the late life chose me
45. i was fighting al qaeda
YESSSS IT’S ON MY DASHBOARD AGAIN
the post that doesn’t age
#seriously intense game of twister
THIS NIGGA CATCHING THE TRAIN TO GO FIGHT MAJIN BUU